Thursday, October 13, 2011

What Women Want!

     

  Some women want money and nice things.  Others are after someone with a kind heart or a great sense of humor, but since most women at some point share the same feelings in their relationships, there must be something that is universally desired. 

"Women desire to have sovereignty over their husbands and their love." - Wife of Bath's Tale

        For anyone who may not be familiar with the tale, in short, a knight is forced to learn the secret of what women most desire, in order to save his life.  From the mouth of a decrepit old woman, he gets his answer.  In exchange he must marry the old woman.  According to the tale, the secret of what women want most is to have power over their husbands and their hearts.  Women do not want to be taken for a ride; we want to know that we have just as much control as you do.  It is not that we want to control everything, we just want to know that our partner respects us enough to let us call the shots, at least some of the time.  I do not want to "wear the pants" in my marriage, but I do want to know that my opinion is just as valuable as my husbands. 
       The Wife of Bath's Tale ends with the knight having to decide whether to keep his wife ugly, but faithful or to have her be beautiful, but ugly and untrue on the inside.  His ultimate decision is to let his wife decide what is best.  Lo and behold, that had been the key all along.  His wife transforms into a beautiful woman who is true and loyal to him.  All she wanted was for him to give her the power to decide.  Women want to feel that we are considered your equal.  Our role, whatever that may be, is just as important to our relationship as yours is and thus our opinions are just as significant as yours.  Women were created from the rib of man.  We belong next to you and what we want most is to know that you respect us enough to let us walk at your side.

Have a wonderful day!

1 comment:

  1. "I do not want to "wear the pants" in my marriage, but I do want to know that my opinion is just as valuable as my husbands." Couldn't have said it better myself! Now I just need to find a husband...

    ReplyDelete